Guided by the belief that every life has equal value, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation works to help all people lead healthy, productive lives. In developing countries, it focuses on improving people’s health and giving them the chance to lift themselves out of hunger and extreme poverty. In the United States, it seeks to ensure that all people—especially those with the fewest resources—have access to the opportunities they need to succeed in school and life. Based in Seattle, the foundation is led by CEO Mark Suzman under the direction of Bill and Melinda Gates and Warren Buffett.
Leadership and Culture We believe that energized people, working well together, fueled by great leadership in an inclusive environment in which they thrive, will do phenomenal things.
Summary "Guidance, Solutions, Integrity" describes the legal team's approach to providing responsive legal guidance supporting pursuit of the foundation’s mission and implementation of the foundation's strategies. The legal team assists in the development of creative solutions that accomplish programmatic objectives, creates and implements efficient legal processes to streamline the foundation’s investment practices, and applies preventive legal strategies and compliance policies to minimize risks and help safeguard the foundation’s reputation.
The Associate General Counsel broadly provide legal assistance and carries out preventative legal compliance strategies including reviewing and advising on contracts, resolving areas of legal risk, training and recommending sound legal positions to internal clients. Collaborates with outside counsel. May specialize in one or more area(s) within the foundation’s operations or programmatic initiatives.
Strategic Investment Fund In 2009, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation established the strategic investment fund (“SIF”) team with the mandate to use a wide range of tools, including equity, debt and guarantees, to further the charitable goals of the foundation. The SIF team has become a leader in the “impact investing” industry, successfully completing more than 80 investments across a variety of sectors and asset classes. Investments are made in support of the charitable impact theses of these program strategy teams, which employ technical experts from around the world.
On behalf of the foundation, the SIF team partners with entrepreneurs, companies, and other organizations to create incentives that harness the power of private enterprise to create change for those who need it most. In connection with these investments, companies agree to use the investment proceeds in support of specific foundation programmatic strategies.
Investments led by the SIF team are primarily structured as “program-related investments,” which is a defined term in the US Internal Revenue Code that governs charitable investments made by a private foundation.
Types of Investments the SIF Team Leads Include: * Direct Equity Investments - When the foundation’s objectives align with a company’s, the foundation makes an equity investment to support the company’s growth and the achievement of those objectives.
* Fund Investments - To build a portfolio of investments in sectors that serve those most in need, the foundation makes investments in intermediaries like investment funds whose strategies align with the foundation’s objectives. Volume Guarantees – The foundation encourages increased production and reduced prices for those most in need by providing suppliers with volume guarantees. The foundation’s guarantee of a volume of sales over a specified period allows suppliers to focus on investing in production and reducing the cost of critical products, such as vaccines, drugs, and contraceptives, making them more available and affordable to people with the greatest need.
* Loans and Credit Enhancements - The foundation provides low-interest loans and guarantees to companies and nonprofits—offering the capital necessary to scale promising products and services that lift people out of poverty.
Sample of Past SIF Team Led Investments Include: * $11 million Series A preferred equity investment in bKash, Ltd., the largest mobile payments platform in Bangladesh serving more than 35 million customers. To date, almost four million accounts are registered to active users living under $2/day; a third of whom are women living under $2/day.
* $52 million Series B preferred equity investment in CureVac GmbH, a leading mRNA biotechnology company developing vaccines against cancer and infectious disease.
* $10 million Series E preferred equity investment in Halodoc, a leading Indonesian online-to-offline health delivery platform leveraging mobile technology to improve primary healthcare outcomes.
* $10 million senior secured loan to Civic Builders, a non-profit charter school facilities developer, to support expansion of its operations from New York/New Jersey to Rhode Island.
* $120 million volume guarantee to Bayer AG and Merck & Co. Inc., which ensured a market for the companies’ implantable contraceptive products in exchange for a commitment by the drug manufacturers to increase their production and lower their prices in the developing world.
* $5 million investment in the publicly-traded equity of Anacor Pharmaceuticals, Inc., a biotechnology company with a novel boron-chemistry drug development platform that was acquired by Pfizer Inc. in June 2016.
Additional information on the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation’s Strategic Investment Fund can be found here - https://sif.gatesfoundation.org/
Core Responsibilities * Provide legal support for (i) the foundation’s Strategic Investment Fund (“SIF”) team, a team that employs a variety of program-related investment (“PRI”) tools, including grants, equity investments, loans, and investments in funds and (ii) other complex transactions and collaborations (including volume/purchase guarantees) all in furtherance of the foundation’s charitable strategies (collectively, “Investments”).
* Structure, negotiate, and draft documents related to the foundation’s Investments and provide practical business-oriented legal advice and counsel, and become a trusted advisor to the foundation's SIF and program teams.
* Provide legal support for new Investments and for management and maintenance of existing Investments.
* Provide guidance in developing and implementing strategies to accomplish the foundation's goal of global access (making access to technology and products available at an affordable price in low and lower-middle income countries, U.S. educational markets and elsewhere and promoting broad dissemination of knowledge and information).
* Understand the programmatic and business objectives of internal client groups, develop creative solutions, and resolve issues using the legal framework and the foundation's values.
* Collaborate with other members of the legal team and foundation personnel as appropriate.
* Manage outside counsel as appropriate.
* Train and educate foundation personnel regarding laws and best practices applicable to business transactions, global access and private foundations.
* Keep current on new and emerging laws and policy developments impacting business transactions (including PRIs), intellectual property and private foundations.
* Legal management of the transaction documentation process, including maintenance of formal document templates.
* Provide support in other legal matters or foundation policies and issues as needed and serve as an active member of the legal team.
* Some travel may be required.
Core Knowledge and Skills * Experience with transactions that involve nuanced intellectual property matters and securities laws issues is also helpful.
* Superior drafting and negotiating abilities are required. History of effectively servicing highly-skilled and demanding client base, balancing and prioritizing multiple tasks, establishing a role as a trusted advisor and providing innovative solutions in a complex and fast-paced environment.
* Strong business sense and client focus, with the ability to work with business teams and embrace appropriate risk-taking to achieve programmatic objectives.
* Ability to work with flexibility, efficiency, enthusiasm and diplomacy both individually and collaboratively as part of a team effort.
* Strong interpersonal skills, maturity, sound judgment and the ability to communicate and interact effectively with clients at all levels of the foundation and build strong client relations.
* Self-motivated and a passion for both the mission of the foundation and understanding the foundation’s programmatic goals.
* Flexibility and ability to deal with ambiguities associated with innovative culture tackling cutting edge issues.
* Highest standards of ethics and integrity.
* A familiarity with the tax laws and regulations applicable to private foundation is helpful.
* Team oriented.
* Sense of balance, humor and perspective.
Education and Experience * Juris Doctor and a minimum of 8 years experience in the practice of law with demonstrated expertise in being the lead lawyer on complex transactions, including equity investments, debt financings, collaboration/commercial agreements, and cross-border transactions.
* Current bar membership is required.
** Applicants for this role will only be considered if they possess current US Work Authorization, and do not require employer-sponsored VISA support to begin or remain in this role.
As part of our standard hiring process for new employees, employment with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation will be contingent upon successful completion of a background check.
The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is dedicated to the belief that all lives have equal value. We’re committed to creating a workplace where employees thrive both personally and professionally. We also believe our employees should reflect the rich diversity of the global populations we aim to serve—in race, gender, age, cultures and beliefs—and we support this diversity through all of our employment practices.
All applicants and employees who are drawn to serve the mission of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation will enjoy equality of opportunity and fair treatment without regard to: * Race * Color * Age * Religion * Pregnancy * Sex * Sexual Orientation * Disability * Gender Identity * Gender Expression * National Origin * Genetic Information * Veteran Status * Marital Status * Prior Protected Activity
To apply for this position, please copy and paste the following link into your browser address bar: https://gatesfoundation.contacthr.com/77949707